Thursday, June 7, 2012

Shiner Ruby Redbird

Shiner is great beer...but occasionally they go a little out there with the flavors.  When I saw Ruby Redbird at the store, I checked out the label and saw that it was brewed with grapefruit and ginger.  Much like wheat, I have never tasted a beer and said, "Nice, but where's the grapefruit?"  I was willing to give this one a try though.  I took a sip and was hit by the grapefruit right away.  I will admit it was a little off-putting but I kept drinking.  And it grew on me.  This is definitely a beer that is worth the effort. 
Where you would expect subtle grapefruit and ginger flavors, Shiner goes the opposite direction and beats your taste buds with them and it works.
Subtle ginger
Everything about this beer says "look at me!" but it wants you to look at it because it is great.  The color is a deep gold and the citrus and the ginger really come across in the aroma. The smell is so nice that you want to let the glass linger under your nose before drinking it.
The bottle makes the bold claim that Ruby Redbird is the perfect summer brew.
Do I think that is true?  I am not going to make that claim, but of the summer brews I have had this year, Ruby Redbird is the only one that seems to understand what summer should taste like.  I recommend you pick some up and decide for yourself.  You will glad you did.

Stats
Name: Ruby Redbird
Brewery: Spoetzl Brewery
Location: Shiner, TX, USA
ABV: 4.2%
Type: Lager

No comments:

Post a Comment